|The State Game Lodge was built
in 1920-21, two years after Custer State Park was established. The unique
architecture , woodwork and stonework of the building, along with its
stature as the "Summer White House" for Presidents Coolidge in
1927, and Eisenhower in 1953, have combined to give the State Game Lodge a
listing in the National Register of Historic Places. The setting of the
State Game Lodge is a beautiful mountain valley surrounded by
ponderosa pine forest. Grace Coolidge Creek winds through the valley
offering excellent trout fishing and the refreshing rewards of a babbling
Blue Bell Lodge, situated along Fresh Creek at the base of Mt Coolidge, offers a quiet, relaxing atmosphere amidst the towering ponderosa pines. Blue Bell Lodge was built in the early 1920's by an executive of the Bell Telephone Company and is named after the symbol of that company; a blue bell. Rustic cabin accommodations combined with guided horseback rides from our Blue Bell Stables, and Hayride/Chuckwagon Cookouts in a beautiful, secluded canyon, give you a true Western flavor with a Dude Ranch atmosphere.
Legion Lake Lodge is located along Galena Creek. Its history dates back to 1913 when Custer State Park was a Game Preserve in Custer State Forest. The area was leased by several American Legion Posts and a house was built along the creek to accommodate their visits. During the 1020's, several cabins were built. In 1932, money was raised to move the house to higher grounds and a dam was built to form Legion Lake. The lake quite naturally affords excellent fishing, swimming and boating (rentals available). It is a water stop for many of the wildlife in the Park. The lake mirrors the ponderosa pine forest and sheer rock walls that surround it, affording wonderful photo opportunities.
Sylvan Lake Lodge is rich in history. Theodore Reder conceived the idea of a dam across Sunday Gulch to form what was originally called Custer Lake. The dam was begun in 1891. The original hotel, located near the dam, was opened in July of 1895. What is now called Sylvan Lake became a part of Custer State park in 1921. In 1935, a tragic fire burned the hotel to the ground. Plans were immediately made to rebuild the hotel. In 1937, the current hotel was opened. An additional 12 rooms were opened in 1991. Fishing, swimming, boating, hiking, snowmobiling and rock climbing in and around Sylvan Lake make it the hub of the active adventurers in Custer State Park. Sylvan Lake's designation as the "Crown Jewel of the Black Hills" is quite befitting this spectacular corner of Custer State Park.
Click here to view a map of Custer State Park.